eat your heart out

im just trying to mend a broken heart.
i've been doing that my whole life but i think that  we all have.

heres the deal. its not working, the usual tape and bandaids aren't holding me together anymore. nothing is working and maybe its because this goes deeper than   my  heart. 
you've penetrated the enamel in my teeth and the marrow in my bones.
because i'm trying to  shake the dust but i think i am the dust.

so im stuck. and  oh  baby  does it hurt.

but, reader, 
i might have lead you astray here because it sounds like i'm in love with him but that's not the case. 
its impossible because i don't even know what love smells like. 

but if  i  had to choose, i'd say it smells like the laundry  detergent my mom buys at costco.        and maybe  that's because its the special kind she uses to wash my sheets and nothing feels better than  climbing into a nice warm bed. or maybe its because i remember   being in  your arms while i'm laying in that bed because  your shirt smelled the same way.

you told me to  be prepared. actually, you told me that you need me to be prepared and i don't really know if that makes a  big difference but it feels important. it feels just as important as when you whispered "your mom  really loves you" that night  outside of my house, leaning on the hood of your dads car. 

i don't know, but  i  do know that  the  last time someone told me to be prepared it was mr.  smith and he was talking about the ap  calc test. i thought i was ready,  i did. i told him i was ready  months  ago and i told you on   monday that i am prepared, but i only got a  4 on the dumb test.  so  i don't know what that means about mondays twelve am promise.

and what gives you  the right to demand anything from me anyway? you're the one whose leaving and im the one  who hasn't cried about  it yet because i'm holding it  together for you. its always been for  you. 

i guess im just writing this as a goodbye. because i'm  pretty sure this is the end.  i don't know whats going to happen. but  im  pretty sure i need the enamel in my teeth  back because im  going to the  dentist next  week and i don't want  another cavity.


Comments

  1. The shake the dust part got me first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and what gives you the right to demand anything from me anyway? you're the one whose leaving and im the one who hasn't cried about it yet because i'm holding it together for you. its always been for you.

    i guess im just writing this as a goodbye. because i'm pretty sure this is the end. i don't know whats going to happen. but im pretty sure i need the enamel in my teeth back because im going to the dentist next week and i don't want another cavity. "

    This whole ending was killer and I am so glad you wrote something because I have been dying to read all break. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its impossible because i don't even know what love smells like.

    This had me in at the first line, but this line was my favorite. Seriously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I'm trying to shake the dust but
    I think I am the dust.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts