this was supposed to be about you

this is my heart.
it beats,  72    bpm.
my grandma   had heart surgery friday morning  because hers wasn't beating right anymore . 
i was scared  and  i'm sure she was too.
i wore a sweater that  said "love: what grandmas do best"  because that was all my heart could think to do.
my puny,  feeble heart  thought that wearing this  sweater   would fix things  and  make God understand that i love my grandma. 

my  puny, feeble heart
broke
when i looked into your eyes  and saw  nothing but pain.
your heart is bigger than mine-bigger to  feel more  compassion and more love, 
but also bigger to feel  more pain.
the hurt radiates  in every  fiber that makes  it up   and gets pumped into    every square inch of you. 

you become pain.
in a way,
pain becomes you.

you didn't ask  for this life or for  that heart,
but it was given  to you anyways .
they say that  the strongest people always get the hardest challenges,
but has  that  ever actually made anyone feel  better?
regardless, you've handled it.
you 've handled the pain  and the  feeling of an enormous heart breaking.
but you've had to  drag yourself through alone.
i've forced you  to do it alone  though because i've  been focused  on my own   feeble heart.
you broke my heart when you looked into my eyes and all i saw was  pain .

this was supposed to be about you,  but i didn't know how to help.
and, look,  i'm still talking about myself.






Comments

  1. this is going to sound weird but i swear i remember someone wearing the shirt you described. can't remember who though, so you're safe. also this was amazing. the ending killed me

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you become pain.
    in a way,
    pain becomes you."
    "this was supposed to be about you, but i didn't know how to help.
    and, look, i'm still talking about myself."
    I liked this a lot. Very truthful and easy to connect with. Which makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT TO QUOTE ALL OF THIS.
    Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sledgehammer hitting the tv with the heart in it oh my gosh it got me so good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts