west virginia, i love your son

west virginia, i love your son
i love the way your sun dyed his eyes a little bit green.
he radiates,
he shines,
he is the yellow bird that i've been waiting for

save me,
take me,
need me, too,

i have been hesitant to write about him
i haven't written in quite some time.
i don't want to be sad again--i don't want to cry.
and i really don't want to make any more boys cry.
not in a canyon, or a car, or outside their house, or in my bed.
i don't want to make any more boys cry.

i have tried to pretend
that his smile doesn't wake my heart up

but i don't need to,
i can have him

he is kindness,
and so warm to the touch.
he kisses my forehead so softly
and loves the way our fingers intertwine
and i do, too

west virginia, thank you, i love your son.

Comments

  1. Yes yes yes.


    "i have tried to pretend
    that his smile doesn't wake my heart up

    but i don't need to,
    i can have him"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts