my eyes are only green when i'm sad

she has always been your favorite celestial body,
and my skin was just gold from the paint that peeled off of the halo you pressed into my skull.

angels do not exist.
but you like to think that they do so you made me this halo.
you made this halo out of shards of broken moons and
spray painted the cold blue into a dull gold and called it heaven.

this halo is weighing me down.
and if i move too fast, i'm certain i will be crushed.
the headache isn't too bad.
at least i'm not bleeding like last time.
he made his halo for me from thorns and blades but promised it would look amazing;
he promised that i would be beautiful.
he never said it wouldn't hurt.
but he told me that my love extends across the globe, the way gods should.
and i needed to fill gods shoes and make him happy because
god couldn't anymore.

i've had halos made of bones, and wires, and glass.
i'm getting tired and my neck is sore.
the gold from your halo is peeling off like an old sunburn and i'm hopeful of what that means.

i never tried to be perfect.
i just wanted to make you happy.
i wish that my eyes were green enough to bring you back to life,
green enough to make you remember what it feels like to be happy,
green enough to make me the most most beautiful girl you've ever seen.
but i guess we shouldn't rely too heavily on a pair of green eyes to save our souls-
so i'll keep the halo.

Comments

Popular Posts