you've been on my mind since the flood.

they tell me i'm perfect.
but i leave a rotten aftertaste.
like overripe love,
like heartbreak,
like guilt.

so knock over your damn pedestal.
you want to keep me up here but i don't know why.
is it because i can't reach you from up here?

my funeral was at a dusk that faded into just              dark.
i can't remember the date.
you couldn't see that no one was there because it was so dark.
there were coins over my eyes so i couldn't see either.
i cried.

that night i listened to a woman scream at the moon as the sun began to rise.
she screamed at the moon, begging him to please not leave.
i was gone then and no one was there to make her happy.
i remember that i cried for her and that was my last thought







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts